It is not a secret that United States is the main tourism market for Mexico. From our north neighbor (United States) we receive around the 71% of the 34 millions tourists that make Mexico as their destination. In a second place there is Canada and far away from it, United Kingdom. Afterward, we can find three southafrican nations that had moved other traditional markets. In latinamerica: Colombia, Argentina and Brazil also took the place of the spaniards, germans and frenchs in the recent years. However, the growth that Colombia and Argentina presents from year by year, will take them to the 3th place.
Of the 23 million americans that come to Mexico, about 8.6 million arrive by land. For the rest of the nations its sure that the number of tourist arriving by air is very similar to the total, including land travel (except for Guatemala and Belize).
Therefore, analyzing the data of the origin of tourist in Mexico and their arrival by airports helps the country to reduce their dependence of the US market.
Here is some information that´s worth highlighting:
- In 2015, Mexico received tourists of all the countries around the world, even the ones you never imagined. For example, 8 somalis arrived to Mexico.
- Cancun is the main entrace for 8 of 10 biggest markets. Only the tourists of USA and Peru have City of Mexico as the main entrance to the country.
- Colombia has the 4th place in arrival tourists in Mexico, moving Brazil, Spain and Germany.
- At least 1 of every 20 canadians visited Mexico in 2015.
- Guadalajara is the destination more dependent of american tourists. The 91% of tourists that arrive by air are from U.S.A.
- However, just the 19.6% of international tourists that arrive to Mexico City are from U.S.A.
Hospicio Cabañas, one of the main attractions in Guadalajara.
7. Unbelievably, the saudis are the 5th and 6th most important market in Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos. Although just 3,620 tourists arrived by air to Puerto Vallarta, they are more than the Germans and Frenchs.
8. The canadians love Huatulco. 76% of the international arrivals to this destination are from Canada.
9. However, the canadian love for Huatulco is considered as temporary. In summer you do not see any tourist in the city, but from January to February around of 8 thousand arrive.
10. The 14% of the south koreans that come to Mexico, arrive by the airport of Monterrey.
11. As well, 11% of the japanese that visit Mexico, arrive by the airport of El Bajio (Leon and Guanajuato).
Guanajuato, the beautiful colonial city connected by the airport El Bajio.
12. The tourism of Venezuela is a result of their current crisis. In 2014, around 146 thousands of venezuelans arrived to Mexico. It is estimated that in 2016, they´ll be less than 50 thousands.
13. More nationals of Vatican City arrive to Mexico to do tourism than more of the total of habitants there. In 2015, around 2,353 citizens of it arrived to Mexico, while their population is about 1000 people. This is due the fact that not all the citizens of this city have residence withing the limits of the Vatican City.
14. However, more than the 80% of them arrive by Cancun and the the other 6% arrive by Puerto Vallarta.
15. Cabo Verde, is the second african nation that sends more tourists to Mexico, above Egypt , Morroco or Nigeria , nations with population that reaches more than the half million of cape verdeans.
15. The 3,224 gaboneses that visited Mexico in 2015, are more than the total of kuwaitis and emiratis (United Arab Emirates), nations with a stronger purchasing power.
16. Comoros, an archipielago in the Indian Ocean, is the nation that sends a fewer number of tourists to Mexico (only 3 tourists in 2015). However, by July 2016, the country received 10 tourists comorans.
17. Pitcairn, a dependence of United Kingdom located in the middle of the Indian Ocean, has only 49 inhabitants, and just one of them came to Mexico in 2015.
18. The italians and belizeans are the only tourists that consider Merida as one of their 5 main destinations.
Famous mansions located in Paseo Montejo, Merida.
19. Some north koreans citizens are allowed to travel. In 2015, 268 north koreans arrived to Mexico, and 29 of them chosen Cancun as the main destination.
20.The main nation of South America where less tourists are received, is Guyana with only 268. Similar as North korean tourists.
21. Only 8 tourists with passport of Maldives chosen Mexico as their destination. This Island has 3 thousand of citizens.
22. 1 of each 86 uruguayans practice tourism in Mexico, a bigger number than the colombians , argentines or brazilians .
23. Italia is considered as the 11th market for Mexico.However, the mexican destinations are not very popular among them. Only one of each 45 italians visit Mexico in the year, compared with one of each 240 israelis or one of each 330 australians
24. Australia is the main market for Mexico without direct flights. Almost 69 thousands australians visit Mexico in the year, compared with 55 thousand of chinese , 54 thousand ecuadorians , or 51 thousand netherlanders that have direct flights to Mexico.
25. 82% of the andorrans that arrived to Mexico, made it by the airport of Queretaro. In fact, 1 of each 5 foreign tourists that arrive to this city by air are from Andorra.
26. Between February and March in 2015, 1,827 saudis arrived to Queretaro. Its actually the 11.5% of the total of saudis that visited the country in the year.
27. In Villahermosa, one of every 12 international passengers were from Venezuela .
28. In 2015, there were 2017 liechtensteiners , 57 kirgiz and 33 papuans visiting Mexico.